Saturday 9 August 2014

Black tie/vintage inspired dresses

Next month I have a black tie event to attend which has a 1920s theme but isn't fancy dress. Fortunately, vintage inspired dresses never seem to fall out of fashion and ASOS in particular is spoiling us with a plethora of options. Aside from the easy returns and avoiding dingy changing rooms, ASOS is great for stocking boutique brands. It wasn't intentional but my favourite dresses were from the same three brands - Chi Chi London, Frock and Frill and Virgos Lounge. Let's take a look at their offerings...   



Chi Chi London is the most bank balance friendly of the bunch and in my opinion provides the safest options. As someone who is rather self conscious of her arms, I love the idea of wearing a dress with long sleeves like the first dress. Plus I quite like the contrast between the black sleeves and white bodice underneath the lace. Definitely one of my favourites! 
The white scallop detail dress is the lightest, most girly of the selection so I imagine it would be easy to feel quite dainty and pretty in the dress - like a 1920s fairy. This dress is probably the most appropriate for the hot weather we've been getting (shock horror!) in the UK recently. 
The sweetheart neckline and sheer sleeves attracted me to the final dress as I think it creates a gorgeous feminine shape. I do feel like this a bit too prom dress-y for the event I'm attending but it was too cute not to include!



The price point of the Frock and Frill dresses break my heart as I absolutely love both of them! Navy blue has really grown on me, I feel like it's a luxurious colour for a dress that also makes a nice change from black. There is lots of eye catching embellishment without looking tacky and the keyhole back adds an unexpected sexy detail.
The mermaid green sequins on the second dress are divine! It's a very simple but show-stopping dress that would be easy to throw on with minimal accessories. I feel like the shift dress shape might be a little too casual for a black tie event and probably won't work as well on bigger busted ladies like myself (cue FML whatsapp emoji).  



How awesome is the name 'Virgos Lounge"?! Thanks to my friend Jess, I've been getting back to obsessing over starsigns so was bound to be won over by this brand. The first dress is another favourite of mine albeit being the most risque of the bunch. There's so much to coo over with this dress - gold embroidery, the sequined mid-section, tutu-inspired skirt coupled with the daring cowl back. As I'm five inches shorter than the model, this would be closer to knee length on me but I'm still not sure if I could make it work. I definitely think I'll give it a try - especially as it was originally £95 but it's currently in the sale for £65!
I know 110% that I do not have the height or petite bust to carry the final dress off but I couldn't leave out such a stunning piece. I love the quirkiness of this dress as it manages to effortlessly combine several key details - midi length, plunging neckline, sleeves, embellishment AND a cheeky slit. If you happen to be 5ft9 and over, please buy this dress so it doesn't go to waste!

Do you have an event or party to go to where these dresses would be suitable? They're definitely not season appropriate but they'll certainly come in useful to strut your stuff once the Christmas party season returns.

Make sure to let me know your favourite in the comments below!

 photo b_twitter.png Bloglovin photo b_bloglovin.png Insta photo b_insta.png Pinterest photo b_pinterest.png

xx