Saturday 14 December 2013

Christmas party makeup

In my last post I showed you the dress I would be wearing this party season. Seeing as tonight will be it's second festive outing, I thought I'd show you the make up I pair it with.

Eyes


To prevent my eye makeup from melting away after inevitably attempting to tear up the dancefloor, I start by using the MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Soft Ochre, £15.00 as a base/primer. This was an impulse purchase a while back but it's proved a worthy investment. A little goes a long way and also helps to make eye shadow appear more vibrant. The MUA Pro Base Eye Primer is a great, cheaper alternative at a mere £2.50 if MAC is a little out of your budget. 

Next I use the W7 silky smooth quad eyeshadow in Shades of Grey, £4.99 to create a smoky eye. I picked this up last year along with the Shades of Brown which I bought as a stocking filler for my sister. However I ended up keeping both for myself as the eye shadows are incredibly pigmented and great for mixing and matching to create different looks. I use the lightest grey first, sweeping it all over the lid. I use the white shadow in the corners of my peepers to open up them up and cancel out any redness. I finish by using the darkest grey in the crease and outter corners of my eyes.

To define the eyes, I line my waterline with Soap & Glory Smoulder Kohl £5.00. I'm obsessed with this eyeliner - it's super black and waterproof so once it's on, it doesn't budge! For my lash line I attempt to create a cat flick with the Collection 2000 Fast Stroke Eyeliner in Black, £2.99. It's not the best liquid liner I've used but it has a thick and firm nib that makes up for less than steady hands. The lashes get a coating with some Maybelline Great Lash Mascara £4.99 which was the first mascara I ever used after winning it in an online competition when I was 13 (first time I ever won anything too!). A few months ago I needed a new mascara and spotted it in Boots. I wasn't holding out much hope but it's great value for money - separates and gives good volume to the lashes.

Tis the season to be sparkly, so to finish off I add a little Collection 2000 Glam Crystals Gel Eyeliner in Hustle 4, £2.99 to the corners of my eyes. A subtle touch that isn't obvious immediately but adds a little something something. Perfect if you want to encourage some eye gazing ;-)

Face


My face base comes courtesy of Max Factor Lasting Performance Foundation in Soft Beige, £9.99. It provides medium coverage but can be built up to hide any redness. To help cover up dark under eye circles and those annoying blemishes that tend to crop up the day of a party, I use the ubiquitous Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer in Medium, £4.19. There has been many a rave about this on the blogosphere and with good reason, it's incredible value for money. I'm on my third tube already! 

To highlight the browbone, cheekbones and cupid's bow I use the Topshop Glow Highlighter in Polish, £9.00. It has a creamy formula that, as the name suggests, leaves a lovely glow to help brighten up your complexion. To add a little definition and warmth to my face, I lightly dust some bronzer using the Soap & Glory Kabuki Brush £9.00. The one I use has been discontinued but I think the Rimmel Natural Bronzer, £5.99 would be a great alternative, particularly for the price point.

Lips

And last but by certainly no means least, the lips. I only started wearing lipstick 2 years ago while I was at uni and now I can't leave for a party without it! I've recently started using the Max Factor Colour Elixir Lip Liner £4.99 to provide a matte base for my red lip. As I was gathering my makeup for the post I realised I've lost it :-( so I can't tell you the exact shade I use. I will definitely be picking up another if only for the gold packaging, so festive! My lip war paint of choice is the StudioMakeup - Rich Hydration Lipstick in Really Red, £12.00. The love affair began when I received this is my Birchbox (back when it was Boudoir Prive) and we're still going strong. A hydrating formula with a tone that seems to suit my complexion and never fails to garner a compliment when worn. What more could you ask for from a lip stick?

I hope you've enjoyed reading this and perhaps given you some inspiration for your festive makeup. What will you be adorning on your face this season?

xx

 photo b_twitter.png Bloglovin photo b_bloglovin.png Insta photo b_insta.png Pinterest photo b_pinterest.png